Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-quic-version-negotiation-10

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022, at 09:46, David Schinazi wrote:
>> Section 7.1, send para: "If a future document wishes to define compatibility
>> between two versions that support retry, that document MUST specify…" Is an RFC
>> allowed to impose MUST constraints on future RFCs? Not a rhetorical question,
>> just never seen anything like this before. (Also 7.3)
>
> Yes, I think this is common practice as far as I know. Future documents
> can however
> remove the requirement, but that generally requires an Updates tag.

Just to expand on this (minor) point.

This is a requirement that is imposed on future RFCs that aim to use this RFC.  This RFC is effectively a framework under which those future RFCs operate.  The integrity of the design in this RFC - specifically the security claims it makes - depends on those RFCs complying with this an other similar requirements, each expressed as a MUST.  Therefore, this is really saying "if you wish to use this RFC and gain the benefits of having done so, you need to do this".