Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On 10/5/22 00:19, Christian Huitema wrote:

It can also certainly do with the kind of trolling found in https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/-On8AHrdnnCMlJOOyb1M1nlYMpk/, in which Dan pretends to be offended by the use of the word "native" in some computer languages.

(While I agree with the statement as written, I'm just guessing that you meant "without")

One could call that trolling, or one could call it satire or parody or a joke.   When skillfully used, humor can be a useful way of disarming an emotional response and allowing the author's intent to be more readily seen.   IETF has a long tradition of humor in general, some of which has been very similar to this message.  I don't want to see IETF become a completely dry, excessively formal, deliberation body.

I don't think that statement was insulting, certainly not to anyone personally.

Keith

p.s. I was just reading a "friend of the court" brief written on behalf of the satirical publication The Onion, arguing that the US Supreme Court should grant review of a lower court's ruling against parody.   The brief is quite amusing, and I think it helps make amici's point more effective.