Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 07:15:31PM +0300, IETF Chair wrote:

> Following community feedback after various incidents, as documented below, the
> IESG has initiated a posting rights (PR) action that would restrict the posting
> rights of Dan Harkins, as per the procedures found in BCP 83 (RFC 3683).
> Specifically, his posting privileges to these lists would be suspended:
>
> * admin-discuss
> * gendispatch
> * ietf
> * terminology

I do not support the proposed action.

> Examples of problematic emails during the last two years include:
>
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/zdq3F0PV40Cyw5ooj0orOWaYyUw/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/i-d7HlWgrkmrVlC7JZQSXDwIJCQ/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/YhPI9zZ_3xfidt5V-ORRnET36yY/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/B33zk8VfOYt4b4Cj-kIHXG3AXdg/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/d3iDS4WNkCJA3aMFnX2HjP4tsps/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gendispatch/-On8AHrdnnCMlJOOyb1M1nlYMpk/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/terminology/n6UMvDuYLKmmvpP1ajICFvf634M/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/terminology/QCdjDbokmlARcwVqQ1TV3Rlz7eQ/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/terminology/X6OF0MBKAzyLhYaAfAxS6srXRNw/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/terminology/idJhG1MsLmKHyRlaAafcW2JF6Z8/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipsec/LoGSVatZ4EsYRq4K52rmvRZTndk/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/pl2lVqhtF4Z-0YuTjhCOmdyi1qE/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/DFgnF_j8py_eMBGI1IUFdMahTKw/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/terminology/T3oCpY3BbTNLXWAWsCnFvahRLUQ/
> * https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/admin-discuss/xLuz4WTCm5ibIiMVN5ID8OWsCI0/

Most of the examples take lately unpopular, but not IMHO problematically
presented positions.  A few are more strident, and could be seen to be
over the line in more technical discussions, but controversy is the
nature of the topics at hand (cultural reform), and it should be expected
that debates about the allowable modes of discourse will be more heated
than most, and at times divisive.

ADs and WG chairs aside, nobody is compelled to read all or any posts on
these topics.  If one does choose to engage, these topics are sure to
to provoke emotional reactions on all sides, be prepared.

--
    Viktor.

P.S.  FWIW, I generally part ways with both the political left and the
political right, a pox on both their houses (my grand parents and
parents suffered or lost their lives as a result of fascism, communism,
anti-semitism, ...).  Some might take my non-support for the PR action
as a sign support for the political right, they'd be mistaken.