Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lsr-isis-flood-reflection-10.txt> (IS-IS Flood Reflection) to Experimental RFC

Hi Tom,

On 9/28/22, 5:41 AM, "tom petch" <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 26/09/2022 18:02, The IESG wrote:

    > The IESG has received a request from the Link State Routing WG (lsr) to
    > consider the following document: - 'IS-IS Flood Reflection'
    >    <draft-ietf-lsr-isis-flood-reflection-10.txt> as Experimental RFC
    >
    > The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
    > comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
    > last-call@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2022-10-10. Exceptionally, comments may
    > be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
    > of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

    I am confused by s.8.3 as introduced at AD Review for IANA Considerations.

    It specifies a new registry with a name that starts 'Sub-sub TLVs for
    Flood....''under the "IS-IS TLV Codepoints" Grouping.

Here is the grouping of related registries. Maybe the confusion is that since it is multiple registries, it doesn't show up as a link in https://www.iana.org/protocols

https://www.iana.org/assignments/isis-tlv-codepoints/isis-tlv-codepoints.xhtml#tlv-codepoints

Thanks,
Acee

    Grouping is not a term I recognise.  IANA have just responded to a Last
    Call comment on dnsop-dnssec-bcp to clarify that the preferred
    terminology is registry and registry group; I cannot recall seeing
    'grouping' being used.

    Further, I cannot see IS-IS TLV Codepoints in any form.

    IS-IS is one of those rare protocols whose IANA registry are all
    together under a group with an obvious name so while this I-D does not
    mention the group name, it is one of those rare cases when that should
    not be a problem.

    Second, there are several existing registry of Sub-Sub TLVs so Sub-Sub
    would seem better - I do note that RFC8401 which created Sub-Sub-TLVs
    for BIER uses sub-sub!

    But the significant point is that I do not understand the reference in
    the Registration Procedures to common expert review guidance for the
    grouping since I do not know what is meant by a grouping.

    Tom Petch