Re: Please provide feedback on a proposed reworking of the datatracker /doc/html/... pages

On 24 Sep 2022, at 15:01, Keith Moore wrote:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-deployment-07

and

https://sandbox-htmlize.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-deployment-07

1.  IMO the new version is more difficult to read at the usual window size that I use.  (it looks better if I narrow the window).  The larger typeface means that fewer lines can be displayed on a typical screen, leading to what I used to call "blackberry disease" - people don't seem to be as patient when reading documents if they have to scroll more to read them. (These days "blackberry disease" is nearly universal as nearly everyone reads mail on a handheld mobile device, which has made email much less useful for technical discussion than it once was.)

(Though I will admit that some people prefer larger type.    I'd personally prefer to try to fit about an entire page in the window height, but only until the type size is reduced to around 11pt. Maybe there could be a preference item for something like this?)

+1

I also find the font too large to comfortably read on my laptop. It’s not just about the constant scrolling, it’s also about being able to have lots of text on the screen at once. Figure 1 in the example above fits on my screen in the old version, but not in the new version. If I zoom out in my browser to fit more text on the screen then the menu on the right also decreases in size and looks wonky.

I understnad that it’s impossible to optimize for all screen sizes, but I don’t think we should be optimizing for small screens in this application. And while I hesitate to ask you to make font size configurable since that’s more work, that might be best here.

Thank you for all the hard work you’ve already put into this.

--Andrew