Re: [Last-Call] [Ext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-bcp-03.txt> (DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC)) to Best Current Practice

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 12:44 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sep 23, 2022, at 9:34 AM, tom petch <daedulus@btconnect.com> wrote:

Going into the IANA registry by name, as I usually do, I think that from Section 6 DNSSEC Algorithm numbers
DNSSEC NSEC3 parameters
are groups and not registries whereas
DNSSEC DS RRtype
I have yet to find (but have not yet used the URL)

Thanks for the comment. I don't know if there is a strict rule about what is an IANA "registry" verus a "group".

Yah. Things like this are deep IANA arcana, and I just nod happily and agree when IANA tells me that I should be requesting X instead of Y (where Y appears to be almost *exactly* the same thing as X, but subtly different in some way important to the IANA).

This is a similar tactic to the one that I use with my cardiologist — he explains in excruciating detail why he wants to change my meds from $some_long_unpronouncable_name to $some_other_ long_unpronouncable_name, because something something results something.

In both instances I smile and nod along (because it would be impolite not to), but I just do what they tell me to, because they a: understand the goal, b: are competent, and c: knows way more about this stuff than I ever will (or want to)[0]. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[0]: The biggest difference is that there *is* advice that I ignore from my cardiologist, but that's because he seems to be afflicted with some weird mania around my getting exercise and also not having bacon for breakfast, lunch and dinner..  It's actually a little odd, my primary care doctor seems to be afflicted with this same fixation - I wonder if it is some sort of medical religion thing?!

I do note that all three that are listed are top-level URLs, so I would guess that they would all be considered the same type of IANA thing.

--Paul Hoffman