Re: spoofing email addresses

> From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> This is a remarkably reasonable proposal, and I would have no objection
> to it (just a fear that ISPs might make it unnecessarily hard to get it
> opened, but they tend to make everything hard).  Heck, I might not even
> mind paying an extra dollar or two per month to have it open.  As long
> as consumers have an option, I'm fine with this as a default.  Good
> idea.  -- Nathaniel

> > I think the easy solution is just to block port 25 unless someone asks
> > for it to be opened. Average users have no idea what
> > port 25 does or even what TCP is, so they won't care.

and how does that proposal differ from what I wrote Thursday?:

]                                    block port 25 for all types of IP
] service except the one that draft-klensin-ip-service-terms-01.txt calls
] "Full Internet Connectivity."

Mr. Borenstein recently wrote the following apparently about that:

} ... Grocery stores probably have the right to require their
} customers to wear formal attire, but if they don't have a good
} reason to do it, they're going to drive away customers no matter
} what the outcome of any philosophical debates.  My expectation is
} that ISP's who implement anti-spam measures that are both intrusive
} and ineffective are going to drive away customers as long as there's
} a better alternative out there, and I'd be inclined to simply let them
} do it unless they're in near-monopolistic market positions. The latter
} exception is important, however; I'd certainly be upset if my cable
} provider did it, because I don't have any good alternatives.

I don't mind in the least if Mr. Borenstein has changed his mind but
does not wish to say so.  I also don't care if he prefers the ancient
statement of the old idea offered by Perry Metzger.

I will mind if Mr. Borenstein resumes his campaign against the
supposed evils of blocking port 25.  Such unfounded complaints give
aid and comfort spammers and to marketing departments resisting
blocking port 25 for customers who aren't competent to use it.

Until consumer grade services providers such as Comcast do something
to stem the floods of spam they are sending, other organizations will
stem their incoming floods with bad tactics such as rejecting mail
from IP addresses with reverse DNS names containing "dsl".

Vernon Schryver    vjs@xxxxxxxxxxxx