Re: Notification to list from the IETF Moderators team

Moderators,

I have been trying to avoid getting involved in this particular
discussion and intend to return to that position, but I want to
understand what you think is going on here.

It appears to me that you made a decision to push back on
Otha-san's original posting.  I take no position on whether that
decision was necessary and appropriate, even though I believe
the language of the posting to which you responded was at least
intemperate.   Like others, I don't know whether or not part of
that might have been a translation issue.  I hope that you
considered that possibility, and Ohta-san's very long-term
participation in the IETF (and associated behavior history), in
making your decision even though the "Inappropriate Postings"
discussion does not explicitly call for either and you did not
mention that in your announcement.

However, that led to a heated, lengthy, and, at least IMO,
mostly constructive, thread on this list.    As part of that
discussion, Ohta-san chose to comment and at least partially
explain the language of his note, comments that would be
difficult to make without including that language.  As I
understand the note below, you have now suspended him from the
list for trying to engage in the discussion about that
appropriateness of your original decision.  Is that
understanding correct?    If so, could you take the time to
explain --independent of this particular set of postings,
individual, or thread -- and in sufficient detail as to provide
guidance (which [1] certain does not) how the community goes
about having a discussion of what is appropriate and acceptable
and what is not without using terminology that might be
offensive in other contexts, suggesting that the views of others
are misguided or inconsistent with good sense, that particular
decisions might have been bad ones, etc.

thanks,
   john

--On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 22:48 +0530 IETF Moderators