Re: spoofing email addresses

On May 30, 2004, at 2:27 PM, Vernon Schryver wrote:

So what ISP was blocked?

What are you, the ISP police? Not that it's any of your business, it was X0 DSL and I paid just under $100/month and hosted my server at home; it was blacklisted as part of a larger block of IP addresses beyond my control. When I moved physically, I took the opportunity to move my server to a hosted service for guppylake.com, and NOW am on a normal cable modem at home. I've been associated with the domain guppylake.com for almost twenty years, however, and I rather like to continue sending mail from that address even though I now obtain my bitstream from Comcast.

But I imagine that X0 is also on your list of ISP's-that-are-evil, so it was my fault for using them in the first place.

Why do I suspect you are being disingenuous
and that it was a $30/month account?

I don't know, perhaps because you have a suspicious nature and are quick to assume the worst about people? I am not really the sort of person who tells lies on an IETF list just to make a point.

For my part, I am sufficiently paranoid to fear that ISP's might advocate port 25 blocking because they hope it will lock people into email addresses that are less portable (e.g. nsb@xxxxxxxxxxx). But when they give other reasons, no matter how irrational I may think they sound, I try at least to give their sincerity the benefit of the doubt. -- Nathaniel