Re: I think we missed something important when FTP was shut off.

On 8/24/22 08:14, Masataka Ohta wrote:

As far as I know, there are now precisely
zero supported browsers that handle the ftp: schema.

So, the proper response of IETF was to let browser developping
community maybe including W3C not to obsolete ftp:.

The real problem, IMO, is that the environment expected by web pages has been allowed to become so complex, that producing a completely independent general-purpose web browser is now cost-prohibitive for all but the largest tech giants, and the number of truly independent implementations is increasingly close to 1.   And that has allowed a very small number of companies to effectively control what people can do with their computers "for their own good".

Arguably this is partially a failure on IETF's part.   But IETF never has controlled HTML, _javascript_, and other aspects of the browser environment, so the fault isn't totally ours.

Of course the problem is far worse than the refusal of modern browsers to support FTP.    From both a standards perspective, and a privacy perspective, the web is a disaster.

Keith