Re: perverse incentives, One week left to object

Can you give an example of what you're thinking about? Remember, the idea is
you randomly pick 10, and then if someone says no, the other 9 continue and
you randomly pick a replacement from the remaining volunteers.

It's less direct than knowing exactly who the next person is, but if you
know who all the remaining people are, you can estimate how likely it is
that the replacement will have various characteristics.  As an extreme
example, if all of the remaining candidates were from the same company,
you'd have a pretty good idea who the replacement's employer would be.

I agree that re-randomizing makes the perverce incentives less, but it
can't make them go away.  So I would not spend a lot of time looking for
the ultimate tweak.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY