Noncom selection process - public sources of random values

Hi -

Way back in almost prehistory, we started using external sources of pseudo-random values to see our selection process for the Nomcom.   Those were generally things that might be published in the newspaper (e.g. stock sales in 100s), or government statistics that changed a lot (e.g. US national debt).  Usually there were anywhere from 5-7 sources, and the sample time for each source was specified as a specific time (e.g. stock sales for Cisco in 100s as published in the NY Times for 23 January 1998) in the future. To resolve the selection, we needed to wait until after the sample time for each - sometimes an entire week.   (Fun fact, this was the way used to resolve results in PBM wargames at least as far back as the 1970's)

Things have changed.  We no longer need to put multiple days or even hours between the need and the fulfillment.  Randomness has become a big thing.  A quick search of the internet gave me https://www.publicrng.com/ and https://avkg.com/ as sites that both generate random values on a schedule AND publish and retain them.   There's also Random.org with its third party Random Drawing service.  And https://www.cloudflare.com/leagueofentropy/. ; Of these, www.publicrng.com looks like the simplest to use it produces a number between 1 and 100 (maybe 1-99) inclusive every 30 seconds.

There's a raffle service on www.publicrng.com that does exactly what we want (list of N participants, 1 ticket per participant, select 10 or 12) and saves the results for later retrieval by anyone with the raffle name (which can be used only once to prevent cheating).

We're so used to eating our own dogfood, that we may not have realized that the can of dog food is due for replacement.

Maybe we pick one that meets our needs going forward?

Later, Mike

ps - not saying to use this for the current go around - I know that's a lost cause.