Re: One week left to object

Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >    o If the Chair is unable to contact a voting volunteer, the Chair
    > must repeat the random selection process in order to replace the
    > unavailable volunteer.  There should be at least one day between the
    > announcement of the iteration and the selection process.

    > IOW, it doesn't matter who is next on the list. You need to rerun the
    > randomization to replace the missing volunteer.

having read the thread, I see where the confusion is....

The historical precedent of multiple documents, which 8713 was supposed to
capture as practice, was that we just kept picking people until we had
enough.  That is where the "repeat" part is... we just repeat the *select*
process.

Most Nomcom chairs have selected at least 11, often yes, 12 or 13 people.
Rich is the first one who has publically posted that, but of course, anyone
who re-ran the process with the published seeds could find out who they are anyway.

We have also discussed having an 11th person even *JOIN* the cmte as a
non-voting member in case we lost one of the 10.  I don't think we have ever
done that.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-