Find the audio option (was: Re: Meetecho observer logins and privacy)

--On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 12:58 -0400 Pete Resnick
<resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Understood and appreciated although it isn't clear to me how
>> someone who is not "part of the system" is expected to figure
>> that out.
>
> The audio streams appear on the agenda page as a little
> headphones icon next to each session. Mentioning that
> somewhere on the agenda page or in the FAQ would probably be
> "A Good Thing"™.

Pete,

I believe there are two very separate topics here and have
changed the subject line in the hope of not getting them
hopelessly intertwined.

One is the question (informed by Jay's note) of whether certain
classes of decisions are being made by small teams,
interpretation of discussion in WGs, or executive action [1] or
whether the broader IETF should be informed in advance and/or
consulted.  Part of that, inevitably, is the question of the
boundary between the significant and the insignificant (probably
too-familiar to you from its cousin in RSWG).

The other (and this note) are how we get better about telling
people what options exist and where to find them.  So, yes, the
FAQ could use some words about this.  IMO, the main meeting page
might mention it.  The agenda page, IMO, could use a detailed
legend/explanation of each of those little icons.  The tool tips
are adequate for helping people who know what they are looking
for click on the correct one, but for someone looking for a
function, they are rather cryptic (same comment might be made
about the icon collection in Meetecho).

In general, I think that any time we change something that
existed before (independent of how the decision is made), we
need to get  much better at asking the question "who might be
affected by this change and how do we let them know about
alternatives/ where we moved something to/ etc."

   john

[1] A term of art, not a comment about Jay, Cindy, Alexa, or any
other individual who might have, or have had, "executive" in
their titles)