Re: [Last-Call] Secdir telechat review of draft-ietf-uta-rfc7525bis-09

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 12:26 PM Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are you suggesting that the best current practice for implementations
and deployments of TLS is to support and negotiate only TLS 1.3? The
sense of the UTA WG was it's premature to say that currently, although
presumably we'll be ready to say that in 7525ter...

It is definitely the "BCP" already--there are good reasons not to support TLS 1.2 on a server, and good reasons for clients not to connect to a server that negotiates it.

My opinion is that the document should outline the compatibility problems that will occur if you don't support TLS 1.2, but not mandate support with 2119 words.

thanks,
Rob