Re: [Last-Call] [EXTERNAL] Re: Artart last call review of draft-ietf-add-ddr-07

Hi Tommy (J and P),

Tommy Jensen <Jensen.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2022, at 3:52 PM, Thomas Fossati via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This bit is puzzling:

> >   A client MUST NOT use a Designated Resolver designated by one

> >   Unencrypted Resolver in place of another Unencrypted Resolver.

> > There seems to be some context missing to explain why a client

> > should found itself in that position.  What I seem to understand

> > from the text that follows:

> >   As these are known only by IP address, this means each unique IP

> >   address used for unencrypted DNS requires its own designation

> >   discovery.  This ensures queries are being sent to a party

> >   designated by the resolver originally being used.

> > is that clients must go through the designation process when their

> > network attachment changes / they are re-configured WRT their UR.

> > And that's because there is strict administrative coupling between a

> > UR and its DRs that would be subverted otherwise.

> > I am scanning this for the first time and I may be off on a tangent

> > space, but if my reading is correct, then the text could be

> > reorganised a bit to make the context for the requirement clearer.

> [TommyJ] This section was actually about not reusing a designation for

> Unencrypted Resolver 1.2.3.4 when configured with Unencrypted Resolver

> 2.3.4.5. Your next feedback item focuses on the next section of the

> document which tackles the “don’t reuse for the same IP address but

> diff networks” scenario. The following is my attempt at clarifying the

> text; what do you think?

> [TommyJ] “A client MUST NOT re-use a designation discovered using the

> IP address of one Unencrypted Resolver in place of any other

> Unencrypted Resolver. Instead, the client SHOULD repeat the discovery

> process to discover the Designated Resolver of the other Unencrypted

> Resolver. In other words, designations are per-resolver and MUST NOT

> be used to configure the client's universal DNS behavior. This ensures

> in all cases that queries are being sent to a party designated by the

> resolver originally being used. This cannot be guaranteed when

> designations are reused because Unencrypted Resolvers can only be

> identified by their IP address.”

That's a great improvement, thanks!  In particular, the sentence:

  [...] In other words, designations are per-resolver and MUST NOT be

  used to configure the client's universal DNS behavior.

explains the logic well.

I find the last sentence still a bit hazy, but I don't want to drag you

into a potentially never-ending refinement loop; ship it!

> > I found this other bit hard to parse:

> >   Generally, clients also SHOULD NOT reuse the Designated Resolver

> >   discovered from an Unencrypted Resolver over one network

> >   connection in place of the same Unencrypted Resolver on another

> >   network connection.

> > What about:

> >   If a client is configured with the same Unencrypted Resolver's IP

> >   address on two different networks n1 and n2, a Designated Resolver

> >   that has been discovered on n1 SHOULD NOT be reused on n2 without

> >   repeating the discovery process.

> > instead?

> [TommyJ] I can see why that is clearer; I tried to generalize this to

> the Nth case beyond the 2nd case this way. Is this still clear, or

> have I reintroduced the parsing difficulty?

> [TommyJ] “If a client is configured with the same Unencrypted

> Resolver's IP address on multiple different networks, a Designated

> Resolver that has been discovered on one network SHOULD NOT be reused

> on any of the other networks without repeating the discovery process

> for each network.”

LGTM

> > Ignorant question: is there an associated delegation of 'resolver.arpa.'

> > needed in the '.arpa.' zone?  Or is that not necessary?

> [TommyJ] No. The name is special in that it refers to the resolver

> itself, not an address mapping or other property.

Yes, in hindsight I asked a pretty silly question :-)  Sorry for wasting

your time on this.

Cheers, Tommy F 😊