Re: [Last-Call] [dhcwg] FW: Last Call: <draft-ietf-add-dnr-09.txt> (DHCP and Router Advertisement Options for the Discovery of Network-designated Resolvers (DNR)) to Proposed Standard

Hi:

Thanks Eric for adding dhc wg. I have the following comment related to DHCP.

For DHCPv4, you will need to reconsider the option encoding as multiple instances of options are usually concatenated as per RFC 3396. As an example, you may want to refer to how the Vender-Identifying Vendor-Specific Information Option (127) is handled - see RFC 3925. You already reference RFC 3396 to be able to encode long domain names. Basically RFC 3925 uses an additional “data” length field for each instance (this adds one additional octet per instance). You might want to consider whether that is a single octet or perhaps two octets given the potential size of the option?

- Bernie Volz, dhc co-chair