Re: Post-Last-Call versions of documents and change logs: suggestion to the IESG

Eric,

As a long-time believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
principle, this is fine but please keep three things in mind.
 (i) While almost all ADs, shepherds, and authors act with
integrity almost all of the time, in many cases each has
incentives to "just get done" with documents, especially
documents that have dragged out for one reason or another.   As
I think Keith has been trying to point out, the edge cases
rarely represent bad behavior, only difference in judgment.
  (ii) As I said in my response to Brian, while I recognize the
advantages of diffs, requiring a change log for changes
initiated after a WG's publication request (or, at latest, after
Last Call starts) would help document (or, at least, alert
people to) substantive changes and the reasons for them,
information that can now be scattered across the Last Call list,
the WG list, Github repositories and pull requests, and private
correspondence among various parties.
  (iii) Another part of my initial note was a suggestion that we
get better at announcing decision points.   Even if no
additional review procedure or comment mechanism is needed
--i.e., if the answer to the edge cases Keith and I are
concerned about is the appeal mechanism-- early and clear
announcements of decisions might get appeals in early enough to
avoid significant delays (see the first "aside" below).

thanks,
   john

(Two side comments, for those who haven't stopped reading by
now, two more general comments)

Aside 1: As many people know, I've argued on and off for years
that we misnamed the appeals process because it sounds very
judicial when it was (at least IMO) intended as more of a "hey,
please reconsider this using information you may not have had or
considered" one.  I've sometimes wished we had more appeals,
enough of them to be considered routine checks on the process
rather than as A Big Deal. However, looked at either way, the
two month window for lodging an appeal can be a serious
impediment to rapid progress. In particular, because RFCs cannot
be changed once published, the new model that makes the editing
and AUTH48 process public turns "finished and ready to publish"
into a decision point.  That, in turn, probably implies that
documents should be frozen at that point for two months to see
if an appeal arises before actual publication.   I hope we never
go down that path, but we are now open to an appeal that a
document in the IETF Stream was improperly published because
insufficient time was allowed for an appeal to be filed after
AUTH48 concluded and that is inconsistent with both the intent
of RFC2 2026 and fairness.

Aside 2: As suggested above, authors (who are often very tired
of quibbling over documents with with they thought they were
finished), WG Chairs (whose WGs concluded that a document was
finished before requesting publication), shepherds (whose
designation/ title implies helping to move a document along),
and even ADs (who may be overloaded with other things) have
incentives to decide to treat issues as non-substantive and
"just" get the documents out.  To their credit and that of the
system, that rarely happens as you (Eric) and Ben pointed out.
However, if we really want to be confident that a small review
team of that sort are the right people to fairly judge whether,
e.g., an additional Last Call is needed or a document should be
returned to the WG (at least for a quick "after these changes,
do you still believe this should go forward" check), then the
IESG should be appointing, not just a shepherd but a Devil's
Advocate whose role should be to find and expose reasons why a
particular document is not ready for publication or should not
be published at all.  I assume you would have trouble finding
candidates for that difficult and thankless role and am not
actually suggesting it, but the logic should, I hope, be clear.

  --On Sunday, 26 June, 2022 06:38 +0000 "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)"