Re: [Last-Call] [art] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-core-problem-details-05

Hi Carsten,

I take your point about copying from a given RFC.

But the history of IETF Language Tags is RFC 1766 (1995), RFC 3066 (2001),
RFC 4646 (2006), and RFC 5646 (2009).  It's a long time since 2009 and, as
Martin noted, there have been a variety of proposals for updating language
tags in the past 13 years, so it's reasonably likely that there will be a newer
version at some point.  And since language tags are now quite structured,
the chance of not needing syntax changes is fairly low.  This draft RFC from
CORE wouldn't catch up quickly, presumably.

Cheers,
- Ira

Chair - SAE Trust Anchors and Authentication TF
Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic@xxxxxxxxx
(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

On 2022-06-23, at 13:13, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> OK - you need to get this CORE document published quickly.

Thank you.

> But I still think that detailed CDDL would be a long-term mistake, for the reason
> that Martin cited - i.e., copying/transforming grammars among RFCs is fragile.

Well, the RFC is immutable, so the act of making a copy cannot by itself be fragile.

What got us to now propose blunting that grammar is the strong impression that there may be less consensus about the grammar defined by RFC 5646 than we thought.  So it seems the grammar in RFC 5646 is fragile, not the act of copying it out...

https://github.com/core-wg/core-problem-details/pull/40/commits/bbe72e2

(I’m making a point about copying here as I believe copying out snippets of CDDL from RFCs and other specifications will be a significant part of CDDL 2.0.)

Grüße, Carsten