Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-11.txt> (Integration of Network Service Header (NSH) and Segment Routing for Service Function Chaining (SFC)) to Proposed Standard

I think this is a useful draft and support its publication.

Minor comments:
  • At the beginning of Section 4 you assume, for that scenario, that SFs are NSH aware. It is my impression that you make that assumption just to simplify things. If my impression is correct, I suggest inserting "... for simplicity of exposition ..." or something like that in the first sentence of Section 4. On the other hand, if I am mistaken and there is some requirement that SFs be NSH aware, that should be explained.
  • I found Section 9 to be a little sparse and jarring. Perhaps a few more words could be added. Also, "time" sounds like a specific time while I think you are referring to a time interval. I suggest something like the following:
    • The SFF cache mechanism referred to in Sections 4 and 5 must remove cached entries after an appropriate time interval determined by the implementation.  Further, an implementation MAY allow network operators to set the said time value interval.  In the case where a packet arriving from an SF does not have a matching cached entry, the SFF SHOULD log this event.
  • Suggest Section 10 would read better if worded as follows:
    • To align with Section 5 of [RFC8300] and Section 5.3 of [RFC8754], increasing the underlying MTU to avoid fragmentation of SR/NSH traffic within an SR domain is RECOMMENDED.
Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx