Re: WG Review: Source Address Validation in Intra-domain and Inter-domain Networks (savnet)

On June 3, 2022 at 3:18:15 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Hi Stephen!

I hope you're doing well.

> I oppose the creation of this working group on the basis
> that it makes no mention of privacy. Extending the kind
> of privacy-unfriendly source address validation mechanisms
> (unwisely IMO) used, to something deployed at Internet-scale,
> could be a major error.

The WG won't be chartered to extend existing mechanisms.

If there's text that gives that impression we should fix it.

> In this case, IMO the *first* and only step so far should be
> a privacy analysis including the potential ill effects of
> current schemes even when only deployed in smaller networks.
> And when that stage is completed, there should be a decision
> point as to whether to abandon the effort entirely if it
> remains privacy-unfriendly.

The charter already includes decision points after every step.  We can
explicitly add privacy as a specific item to consider.

The only text that is sort-of-related is this mention under item #2:

   Each document must also include the threat model addressed by the
   proposed architecture and a comparison to existing SAV mechanisms.

I'm assuming you would want to see a privacy analysis of the proposed
solutions (and a comparison with any existing mechanisms) before any
extensions are defined -- right?

Would this text address your concern?

   Each document must also include a privacy analysis, the threat model
   addressed by the proposed architecture, and a comparison to existing
   SAV mechanisms.

Please let me know if I missed your point or if you have better text.

Thanks!

Alvaro.