Re: Registration open for IETF 114

On 5/9/22 17:59, John Levine wrote:

Could you give us a specific dollar limit for a reasonable price?
This is going to vary a lot from one person to another, but offhand I'd say that $1000/meeting for hotel and entry fee combined (not including travel) is a good goal for meetings in North America.   (I didn't say a strict limit.)
Also, what counts as near? The IETF hotel is a block from the suburban
commuter train station (that's the name of the station) so people
could commute from anywhere on the SEPTA rail system.

This is also going to vary from one person to another.   For a Vancouver meeting I once stayed at a hotel 20 blocks from the conference venue, in the winter (uphill both ways :) and considered that a reasonable compromise.    But it did mean that I couldn't really leave the IETF meeting and go back to my room to take a break.   It's much nicer to be closer than that.

The location also has the advantage of being less-than-plane distance
for a lot of people in the eastern U.S.

Yes, that's true (even for me, maybe).   But such high hotel costs are enough of a barrier to participation that proximity might not matter.

It used to be the case that IETF leadership and administrative folks understood the need to facilitate low-cost in-person attendance, and in general to have as few barriers to effective participation as possible.  And sure, one can still participate remotely and even get a fee waiver to do that.  But I did say _effective_ participation, and that's much more easily done face-to-face.   Especially after two years of global pandemic.

Keith