Re: RFC 9226 on Bioctal: Hexadecimal 2.0

On 03-Apr-22 12:21, Michael Richardson wrote:

I wish that more RFCs had such well thought out Security Considerations.

They are incomplete. There is a whole world of hurt if one considers
IPv6 addresses. What are we to make of a prefix like 2cf2::/16 ?
If we assume it's bioctal, it is really 28c2::/16 in hex. But if
we assume it's hexadecimal, it's really 2cf2::/16.

That sort of confusion between IP prefixes could be quite an
operational problem and lead to all kinds of exposures. It means
that auto-detection of bioctal vs hex is generally impossible.

It's also hard to perceive vbc0::1234 as a link local address.

However, in the interests of widespread community consideration
of this problem, I have added support of bioctal to my little
IP address checking program. Sorry to be a day or two late.

https://github.com/becarpenter/misc/blob/main/addrPropsO.py

   Brian