Re: On transparency of the road not taken (Re: Public archival of AUTH48 communications)

Eliot,

The devil is, as usual, in the details, but I agree with the
general idea.  Three additions to your comments:

(1) Some of those "path not taken" or rejected documents have
ended up as Independent Submissions and published.  Especially
when an IETF WG picked a different solution to the same or a
similar problem, the approval process for those Independent
Submissions has been more or less insistent that revised
versions of those road-not-taken documents contain a careful
critical analysis of the two approaches and the differences
between them.

(2) Using the NEWTRK documents as an example, I think it would
be accurate to say that many of those who had participated in
the work found the IESG's explanation of what was done and why
to be completely unsatisfactory.   Were we to go down the path
you suggest, there should be some theory about how to resolve
such situations even if it were only that the IESG posts a draft
summary/tombstone but its text were subject to appeal.  However,
one of the lessons from that episode was that there were no
appeals from the IESG decision at least in part because the
animosity level was high enough that no one wanted to raise
temperatures further.

(3) Would you expect such a tombstone mechanism / process to
apply to Independent Submissions as well?  I can see strong
arguments both ways.

best,
    john

--On Monday, March 7, 2022 10:40 +0100 Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxx>