Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile-15

Dear Cigdem,

Thank you for preparing the revised version, it looks pretty good to me.

Some replies inline:

On 3/4/22 14:23, Cigdem Sengul wrote:

    Section 1.3:

    "Will
                       If the network connection is not closed
    normally, […]"
    I suggest to make this a bit more specific:
    Does "the network connection" refer to a TCP connection, or a TLS
    session? Or
    does it refer to MQTT's notion of "connection"? Does "not closed
    normally" mean
    anything other than a FIN-ACK exchange to close a TCP connection?
    Or does it
    depend on the used transport protocol (however, in this document,
    it should all
    refer to TLS over TCP iiuc?) If the notion of a "network
    connection is not
    closed normally" is a well-defined concept in this context, please
    provide a
    reference if possible.

[CS: Introduced a formal definition of Network Connection to MQTT-related terminology - as defined in MQTT standard. To the Will definition, added the situations when the connection is considered not to have closed normally. Question: Normal disconnection is DISCONNECT with reason code is 0x00, according to MQTT standard - is this definition also needed?"

[TE] So "not closed normally" means any way to terminate the Network Connection, other than DISCONNECT with reason code 0x00? If so, I think this would be a good addition to the definition, either as its own definition or added to the "Will" definition.

    Section 2.1

    "The PoP token includes a 'cnf' parameter with a
       symmetric or asymmetric PoP key. "
    The 'cnf' (and 'rs_cnf' in Section 2.2.1) parameter is mentioned
    here and in
    some other places, but it is not obvious what it means and why it is
    special/important. I suggest to provide a brief explanation or
    reference.

[CS: Added for cnf:
The AS includes a 'cnf' parameter to the PoP token,
   to declare that the Client possesses a particular key and RS can
   cryptographically confirm that the Client has possession of that key.
   The 'cnf' parameter is REQUIRED if a symmetric key is used, and MAY
   be present for asymmetric proof-of-possession keys, as described in
   [I-D.ietf-ace-oauth-params].

rs_cnf:
Otherwise, to authenticate the Broker, the Client MUST validate a public key from a    X.509 certificate or an RPK from the Broker against the 'rs_cnf' parameter in the token response, which contains information about the
   public key used by the RS to authenticate if the token type is "pop"
   and asymmetric keys are used as defined in [I-D.ietf-ace-oauth-params].

[TE] These explanations already help, thanks! However, and this might just be me, but I keep wondering what 'cnf' stands for, i.e., if it is an acronym for something, and if it is, if it makes sense to expand the acronym. But it might just be a string that comes from "somewhere", which is fine with me, too. :)

Best,
Reese (aka Theresa)