Re: [rfc-i] Time to say "NO!!" to AUTH4200 (Re: AUTH48 checking the different formats (Re: Public archival of AUTH48 communications))

On 1. Mar 2022, at 00:24, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 12:17:24AM +0100, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>>> A full review should not be necessary.
>>
>> I wish that were true...
>
> IMO a full review is necessary, not least to ensure that the document
> remains self-consistent and that any changes applied during editing are
> uniformly applied to all relevant parts of the document, not just in the
> subset of places that the editor noticed.

Absolutely.

(One more example for an API change, but not within the document:
The most recent AUTH48 document I’m involved with has 69 <tt tags.
The RFC editor rightly noted:

>> FYI, the text rendering of the <tt> element was changed in Sept. 2021
>> (xml2rfc release 3.10.0). <tt> no longer yields quotation marks in the
>> text rendering.
>>
>> It does yield fixed-width font in the HTML and PDF outputs.
>> In light of this, please review and let us know if you want to
>> make any changes (e.g., add quotation marks that would be in all
>> three output formats).

The documents were of course mainly authored before the semantic change.
So one more task for the full reread:
Check that the sentences still are understandable in the TXT form with the <tt information lost, and decide where quote marks need to be added.
This can only be decided by metamorphosing into a newly interested reader and reading through the text.
As noted in Star Trek 6, those metamorphoses can be exhausting.)

Grüße, Carsten