Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-koster-rep-06.txt> (Robots Exclusion Protocol) to Informational RFC

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022, Mark Nottingham wrote:
I'm uncomfortable leaving change control for a key interoperability mechanism in the search market in the hands of one competitor, yet blessing it as part of the IETF stream. I think the IETF as a whole should be uncomfortable with that too, given current competition enforcement trends.

The main author is Martijn Koster who invented robots.txt in 1996.

I see in Google's blog that they want it to be an Internet Standard, which is of course not compatible with a "no derivatives" license. So I concur with the advice that they need to change the license.

https://developers.google.com/search/blog/2019/07/rep-id

Still think they should take out <CODE BEGINS> on the examples.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY