Re: [rfc-i] Public archival of AUTH48 communications

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 7:43 AM Francesca Palombini <francesca.palombini@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I am monitoring the discussion, listening to the feedback, and hope to answer to all comments later on.

Ted: Just a clarification question. As a separate mailing list was also the proposal, I am trying to understand the difference with Ekr’s suggestion.

If I understand correctly, the difference with what Ekr is suggesting is that there would be one AUTH48 mailing list for each AUTH48 conversation, is that the idea? This was discussed, but the same sort of subscribing and filtering can be achieved locally even with one single list, and would require less tooling and RPC change, so I am not sure I see the interest of setting it up that way.

No, I'm suggesting that it doesn't go to the main WG mailing list. I am indifferent to whether it is a single list for all AUTH48 communications for a WG or one for each RFC.

What I don't think we should do is just change the setup for each WG mailing list so that suddenly everyone gets the AUTH48 stuff whether they care or not, thus forcing most of those people to set up filters to filter it out.

I see I misrepresented you in my mail to Francesca.  I thought you were proposing to do it by WG, rather than by draft.  To me, that's the natural unit of review here.  That's why I initially suggested using the WG mailing list, and why I would be fine with setting up a per WG AUTH48 list as a separate list.

That is, in any case, what I now suggest.

regards,

Ted Hardie

-Ekr

Thanks,