Re: RFC 4858 on shepherding

I am just revisiting the RFC with a new non-Chair Shepherd  in my WG (ECRIT). IMO, It's holding up well other than the antiquated sample questionnaire.. I'd be happy to work with someone on removing the sample and revising a bit.

My co-chair Randall and I expect the Shepherd to do the whole thing, with mentoring from us where needed, and (crucial) cooperation and support from the authors. We made sure the authors were aware of Dwight (the Shepherd) and that's been fine.  The writeup questionnaire was a great learning experience - it's got a lot in it and done right (which it was), there's IETF gold there.

Agreeing with some things in the thread: as Michael, Brian and others said, they help IETF train potential future Chair (and recruit) and I love this. But also they are needed multipliers, because Chairs have lots docs in flight at once and frequently have several or lots of WGs. The Shepherd can focus on the doc process fine points with close attention. The Chair roles of leading the WG and ensuring quality review have to be done before the Shepherd starts work with the Writeup (before the Chair can ask for publication).  I think everyone knows this last point, but reminding people if they don't.

As has been mentioned, the Shepherd role and the Writeup are well integrated in the datatracker now and have been for a few years.  I wrote up a document a few years back for the WG and that was the case.

I'd love to see nomcom ask about shepherding experience, what a great idea.  As far as I can tell, it's hard to search the datatracker for a person's Writeups, but the candidate could supply them and the nomcom could get from people what they well were good and challenging ones to take a look at - you can link.

One possible integration gap: is the shepherd role included in the draft email aliases?  I think maybe not.

Allison