Re: RFC 4858 on shepherding

I don't think it's outdated at all. It was a very necessary document at the time, because many WGs were suffering from process delays when WG chairs and authors were unclear on the process. My memory is that Alison Mankin in particular pushed for a more systematic approach, reagardless of whether it is a WG Chair or another designated person that acts as shepherd. These days, this approach is built into WG Chair culture and is supported by the tracker.

Having a non-WG-Chair as shepherd is particularly useful if one, or even both, chairs are authors of the draft in question. In that case it avoids a tricky conflict of interest. In other cases it simply spreads the workload, if a WG has many documents reaching maturity at the same time.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter