Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 2/11/22 18:56, John C Klensin wrote:

So, I think that, unless we have reached the stage where we want
and expect our specifications to cover every detail and be exact
about it, SHOULD serves real value... but only if we require
explanations of why it is present rather than using it as "MUST,
but maybe not" or "MUST unless you don't feel like it".

+1

I also think that there is value in having some humility when writing protocol specifications, and also when implementing them.    SHOULD can be the authors' way of saying "we realize there are probably valid exceptions to this rule but we're not able to confidently enumerate them all, particularly given the diversity of the Internet and the environments in which this must function".   But an implementer reading a SHOULD should also realize that there's probably a good reason for the SHOULD and that the implementation needs at least that good a reason to violate the SHOULD.   Perhaps we should provide some justifications for SHOULDs, perhaps in non-normative appendices, when writing specifications.

Also, there's value in having specifications be brief even with some loss of precision.   The longer and more detailed the specification, the less likely it is that it will be correctly implemented.   So specifying SHOULD can result in a more readable specification, and one more likely to be correctly implemented, than a specification that detailed all of the exceptions for a MUST.

Keith