Re: [bmwg] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Scott Bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > speaking as the editor of RFC 2119

    > nice chart of how to misuse SHOULD but - imo - SHOULD is a MUST with an escape clause

    > I do not think it is useful to use SHOULD without specifically saying
    > what the escape clause is -
    > i.e. specifically say when its OK to not act as if it was a MUST

I've gotten caught by this regularly.

I don't want to write MUST because if feels rude to be so demanding, and I
can envision *some* escape clause, I'm just not yet sure what it is yet.
That's wrong on my part.

    > (if I had to do it all over again I would not have included SHOULD/SHOULD NOT)

It's hard to imagine some other word that would allow for the escape clause.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-