Re: Problem of blocking ICMP packets

Mark Smith;

> > Filtering on protocol/port numbers is a broken concept.

Yes, it is.

However, it is merely as broken as PMTUD that we don't need
security discussion to deny PMTUD.

> I've understood that what you have described is the end-goal
> of end-to-end, opportunistic encryption and authentication ie.
> IPsec.

Back to the original problem, PMTUD depends on the capabilities
of intermediate systems on a path to generate certain ICMP,
generation of which is as complex as fragmentation itself,
that it is not very end to end.

That is, PMTUD is a broken concept.

						Masataka Ohta