Re: [Last-Call] [dns-privacy] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-dprive-dnsoquic-08

I share Sara's position.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 08:18 Sara Dickinson <sara@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the review, and as Christian said the padding question has been a point of discussion.

I’m personally comfortable with a downref to RFC 8467 with text to support why this is done as you suggest. Multiple studies have shown just how easy traffic analysis is without any padding - we could actually cite one of the more recent ones. RFC 8467 is implemented for stub-recursive DoT in most open source software and is in use by major recursive operators.  For me this approach mitigates the immediate risk of exposing DNS names - preventing traffic analysis from identifying DoQ is a much longer term goal (and requires ECH).

I’ve had a first pass at a PR making RFC8467 normative here: https://github.com/huitema/dnsoquic/pull/143

Regards

Sara