Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Moving RFC911 to Historic

On Jan 21, 2022, at 6:25 AM, Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On January 20, 2022 at 7:22:50 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Brian:

Hi!

In my opinion, the IETF, and therefore the IESG, has no right to
change the status of this RFC, which is dated 1984, two years before
the IETF existed.

Definitely a good topic for discussion.

However, I wonder how other RFCs-of-the-time (RFC904, for example)
were reclassified as Historic.  Unfortunately, there's no history in
the datatracker, and I couldn't find relevant information in the
archives.  Maybe someone here remembers.

I'm not saying that if we could do it before we should do it
again...just curious.  Also, that history may provide insight on a
general way forward.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

I was able to trace the reclassification of RFC904 to Historic from the August 1994 BGP/IDRP-IP WG meeting, at which it was decided "to move EGP in all forms to a historical status.”

A Last-Call was issued a couple of weeks later:

The Protocol Action to move it to Historic took place about three weeks later:

In response to Brian’s suggestion that the RFC Editor function should be responsible for reclassifying the status of non-IETF RFCs, perhaps, but what happens if the IETF winds up having to do the work anyway?

Regards, Greg