Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: Moving RFC911 to Historic

--On Friday, January 21, 2022 16:47 +0900 "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Also want to point out that asking the RFC Editor to develop
>> the ability to take on these evaluations of pre-IETF
>> documents is a significant ask, especially as the ideas in
>> many of them have moved to the the IETF stream in later
>> years. In practice, I'd assume that the RFC editor would
>> consult the IESG in pretty much all cases.
>
> Yes indeed. Probably the simplest thing would be for the RFC
> editor to propose to move all of them to historic (because
> they're all pretty old now, anyway), and give the IETF and
> others a way to tell them when that's not appropriate, e.g.
> because an old RFC is still relied on.

And that strikes me as a good way to handle things.  An equally
good one would be for the IESG to organize a process and make a
proposed list of old documents to the treated as if they were in
the IETF Stream.  A Last Call on that list (again, more or less
following the RFC 4450 model) and pruning as appropriate. would
then leave a collection of things that could be processed
normally in the IETF.

thanks,
   john