Re: Please note this update: IETF mission statement

Nothing like jumping in late and editing the first sentence, but here
goes:

> The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better.

This is phrased a bit awkwardly, and implies that the Internet isn't
working all that well now. What about:

  "The goal of the IETF is to ensure that the Internet continues to
   work effectively."

And a few paragraphs later, to tighten it up a bit:

>    Open process - that any interested participant can in fact
                    ^^^^                                ^^^^^^^
                    omit                                omit

>       participate in the work, know what is being decided, and make his
>       or her voice heard on the issue. Part of this principle is our
>       commitment to making our documents, our WG mailing lists, our
>       attendance lists and our meeting minutes publicly available on the
>       Net.
>

>    Technical competence - that the issues on which the IETF produces its
                            ^^^^
                            omit

>       documents are issues where the IETF has the competence needed to
>       speak to them, and that the IETF is willing to listen to
>       technically competent input from any source.
>       Technical competence also means that we expect IETF output to be
>       designed to sound network engineering principles - this is also
>       often referred to as "engineering quality".
>

>    Volunteer Core - that our participants and our leadership are people
                      ^^^^
                      omit

>       who come to the IETF because they want to work for the IETF's
>       purposes.
>

>    Rough consensus and running code - We make standards based on the
>       combined engineering judgement of our participants and our
>       real-world experience in implementing and deploying our
>       specifications.
>

>    Protocol ownership - that when the IETF takes ownership of a protocol
                          ^^^^
                          omit

>       or function, it accepts the responsibility for all aspects of the
>       protocol, even though some aspects may rarely or never be seen on
>       the Internet. Conversely, that when the IETF is not responsible
                                  ^^^^
                                  omit