Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 4:50 AM Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Il 30/12/2021 03:29 Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

If we were to redo telephone numbers, we would not do exchanges or area codes. They are no longer necessary and to the extent they still have meaning, it is privacy violating meaning.
There would be reasons to keep country codes, though. Both organizational (they naturally federate the namespace and define jurisdictional spaces) and functional (at least you know the part of the world where the person is from, and the languages that are likely to work when communicating).

There are effects, effects are not reasons unless measured by objectives.

If someone wants to reveal their nationality, fine. The technology should not force anyone to. What part of privacy preserving end-to-end secure communications are you not getting.

For the same reasons, some big / federal / multinational countries might want to keep area codes as well. Indeed, even in a mid-sized monolingual country like Italy it is very useful to know at a glance whether a fixed number is from Sicily or from Venice. You could make this optional and subject to user consent, but in many cases it would make sense to get a geolocated number.

Neither countries nor machines have desires, only people do. If people want to reveal information, they will. If not, not.

I have no interest in the type of federation you describe because my goal is to return control to the individual. If the politicians have a problem with that, they can give me my citizenship back first and then we can talk.

Unlike the anarchists/libertarians and their crypto-currency schemes, I do believe in government. But I also observe that there are a heck of a lot of really terrible ones out there and I am not in the least inclined to give them more power.