RE: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 29-apr-04, at 21:18, Tony Hain wrote:
>
> >> This isn't true. No one is required by law to register their
> >> trademark as
> >> a domain name.
>
> > IANAL, but in my discussions with lawyers focused on trademark law, in
> > effect they are required. The perception that they are not defending
> > their
> > rights effectively means they abandon them.
>
> Defending their trademark doesn't necessarily mean registering every
> possible domain with the trademark in it, but it does usually mean
> going after other people who register a domain with the trademark in
> it.

Agreed, but given the reality of legal fees the cheapest way to defend a
trademark is to register it in every domain.

> (Although there is always the slight problem that domain names are
> globally unique while very few trademarks are.)

While they are unique within the context of each registered country.

> >> So far, I still haven't heard a _technical_ reason against these
> >> TLD's.
>
> > The technical argument here is flattening of the name space with the
> > associated concentration higher up the tree.
>
> So what angle hierarchy is desirable? Obviously a completely flat space
> isn't good because the zones get too large, but a very deep space isn't
> either as it takes more time to recurse through.

A good research topic ;)   gut feel says 3-5, but YMMV

> > /flame-suit-on/ Rather than granting new TLDs, there should be an
> > effort to
> > deprecate the existing non-cc TLDs and move everyone out within 3
> > years. The
> > historical artifact of a failed experiment is no reason to continue
> > down
> > that path.
>
> So what is the rationale for organizing ourselves based on our
> respective countries?

Trademark law is already aligned that way.

> If I may borrow your suit for a minute, I have
> another suggestion: no hard limits on TLDs, but every organization only
> gets to have a domain name in one TLD. So the practice of registering
> <domain>.* would have to end.

And nobody can register more than one domain per year. This would have the
side effect of slowing down the benefactors of the spammers.

Tony