Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > On 30/12/2021 14:59, Gorman, Pierce wrote:
    >> Richard Shockey once observed that telephone numbers as a namespace
    > are a form of global language.  The entire planet knows how to
    > use them and they do not rely on international character sets.

    > <tp>
    > Well sort of.  Working for an international company I got in the habit of
    > writing
    > +(44)
    > in front of the rest of the number which is the recommende format, by the
    > ITU-T I recall.

Yup, and which 90% of Canadian and US built web sites refuse :-( :-(

Not just that you have a non +1 country code, but that even that you write
the +1.   (Were I in the need to hire some US based accountants or lawyers,
if they didn't put +1 on their business card, then I'd pass them by...)

So, I'm afraid that this global language is alas, actually not really global.
And the numbers are not always absolute: I have 311, 511, 611, 711 and 911
in my area.... which are essentially pet names.

And it's 999 or 119 in places, except, I'm told, for small parts of London,
where it's 0118 999 881 99 9119 7253.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )