Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

--On Saturday, December 25, 2021 17:26 -0500 Phillip
Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 25, 2021 at 4:45 PM John C Klensin
> <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Maybe worth remembering that, if one goes back several
>> centuries and in relatively small communities, the reason for
>> inventing what because surnames, often starting from
>> patronymics, matronymics, village or country names,
>> occupations, or other attributes, all appear to have
>> originated from a need to solve the same problem at a much
>> less challenging scale.
>>
>> And, since this discussion started with an example starting
>> with "@Alice", I note that a conversation that includes both
>> John Levine and myself requires extra qualification and
>> energy (in spite of my having a family name that is probably
>> less common than Randy's and the protection of a tradition
>> that forbids having two living people in the same family
>> branch with the same first name).

> I don't have all the answers, but I think I can provide an
> improvement on the status quo.

It seem to me that "better than the status quo" is rather easy,
but whether it is workable and would get traction is another
question.  As you know, the status quo, however lousy, has a
good deal of associated inertia.

> One side effect of the use of patronyms was that they
> reinforce patriarchy in ways that has significant impact even
> today.

Of course, and that is why I say "and matronymics".  I was not
suggesting that system (or any "traditional" one) was desirable,
only that these issues are not new with the Internet.  Nor was I
suggesting that patronyms, if used at all, be used as names as
you seem to have inferred.  As attributes for disambiguation,
they may still be useful because it is rare for either your
birth mother's or your birth father's name to change during your
lifetime (although there are many situations that makes their
use impractical or impossible)  In particular...

> I have little difficulty making contact with my male
> professional and social contacts from 30 years ago but I have
> lost contact with many of my female contacts because they have
> changed their names after getting married. Sometimes more than
> once.

But that, while obviously true, has little to do with the
problem except in societies where women have no choice other
than changing their names on marriage -- a custom that, as you
point out, carries its own problems.  I have encountered many
women who picked a stable name, usually a pre-marriage one, and
retained it at least for professional purposes because searching
for, e.g., articles by that person is problematic if the name
changes.  I assume you have had similar experiences and
connections.  What they do, and the names they go by, in their
personal lives might be different, but I don't think that is any
different from the examples you have given about why one might
need more than one callsign.

> If people had a name that they could use for life, that would
> answer that problem (or remove that advantage).

Again, except for societies that require women to get married
and to change their names when they do so, that is relatively
easy today.  The uniqueness problem is a separate issue: easier
for me than for Randy or John Levine, easier for Randy than for
many others, very hard for the proverbial (and actual examples
of) "Joe Smith".  But in none of those cases is the problem
inability to maintain a name for life; it is ownership and/or
disambiguation vis-a-vis others with reasonable claims to the
same name.

> If we are using human readable names, there is going to be
> some idiot who really wants to be @thanos and a Disney lawyer
> telling them they can't.

Indeed.  But, as Randy indirectly pointed out, if the names are
not human readable (and probably human memorable) I think the
system will inevitably need a dictionary or directory that maps
their usual names to the unique machine readable ones, even if
it uses some serial refinement model for disambiguation.  Our
history with implementing and deploying such directories at
Internet scale has been fairly poor.

> But even if that has to happen, the old binding of @thanos
> will still the visible for those who want to contact the
> original holder.

True unless said Disney lawyer can convince you or appropriate
authorities that the initial use of the name was invalid and
violated their rights to a sufficient degree that the name
and/or binding should be removed from the database... and can
figure out a way to enforce that conclusion.

> So the considerations are not the same as for
> DNS names. There can be multiple bindings to the same name but
> only one can be the active binding at a given time.

Understood.  That is an important consideration but I don't
think it is the one John L., Randy, Christian, and I are poking
at from somewhat different directions.  Put differently, if I
correctly understand what you are trying to do (and I may still
not), much of what we have been talking about may be external to
the problem you are trying to solve and your proposals for
solving it.  That doesn't make the concerns irrelevant because
they may be key to whether you can get practical acceptance and
uptake outside a very narrow community, but that, again, does
not mean your ideas themselves are unworkable.

> There are no perfect solutions but there can be better than
> what we have today which is Alice has no power, only the
> domain name owner has power and domain names are very
> expensive to buy and to use. They are not designed for
> identifying people, they are designed for identifying
> organizations who own and operate computers.

Here I think you are confusing several different issues.  Looked
at from my perspective in the 1980s, you are not talking about
intrinsic properties of the DNS. That was a long time ago but
the assumptions then included both the idea that charges for
names higher than cost recovery were unnecessary and probably
undesirable and that the DNS would be used with deep hierarchy
with zones near the root operated in the public interest.  The
question of what the tipping point was that made were we are
today inevitable is interesting but probably not useful.  But
neither the power relationships nor the costs are necessary
properties of the DNS.  In that context, the problem with
identifying people is a design issue only because one would need
to use sufficiently deep hierarchy --think, or example, about
birth country, subdivisions as appropriate (perhaps down to
geolocation), family name at birth, and then personal name at
birth and a birth datetime somewhere -- to require that
directory function.  But is isn't a technical or, in principle,
administrative problem with the DNS.  Any country that felt like
setting up such a system for its residents in their ccTLD and
that did not consider the first priority of the DNS to be a
revenue source could deploy such a system this month.  Now,
personally, I don't like strict hierarchies for systems like
that and think it would be easy to do better.  I feel even more
strongly about plans that use the DNS because it is handy even
though it is not a particularly good match for the problem being
addressed.    But, again, there is no inherent problem with the
DNS that justifies what you are suggesting even though there may
be multiple practical problems in the current DNS operational
and management environment.

 best,
   john