Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

--On Sunday, December 26, 2021 10:28 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know someone living in NZ who overnight received a "one hour
> from now" reminder of a COVID test for someone in the UK who
> occasionally mistypes their own gmail address. (A test booked
> on Christmas day???)
>
> The consequences of a typing error in a call sign are
> potentially serious. In this case, we can only hope that the
> person didn't miss their test.

And, since the DNS was mentioned in this regard, that type of
error, especially when only a single mistyped character is
involved, was the key reason Postel pushed back against
single-letter TLDs and one or two character labels at the second
level.  Three characters is not nearly enough to guarantee that
a single-character error will produce an error rather than a
false positive on a different name, but the thinking was at
least there.

But PHB is quite correct here: if the callsign mechanism
requires that someone have prearranged permission to send a
message or retrieve anything, many problems are solved.  The
analogy is poor, but I have a mailbox (which the IETF has never
seen) that, through many generation of technology, has never
received an unsolicited message from a stranger.  Why?  Because
any incoming message is rejected by the delivery MTA if it does
not contain current-generation authentication of the sender --
for the last decade or so that has meant that the message body
is signed and that I already have the relevant public key on
file.  Of course, how those permissions are requested and
granted requires a separate mechanism.

   john

   john