Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:24 AM Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    mcr> I don't think that we can really give out 7B short callsigns though.

I want to repeat this: I don't think that there everyone can have a short callsign.
At 5-bits per (english) glyph (because ALICE == Alice == alice), we need 8
glyphs to get 2^40 callsigns.  And that assumes that we hand out meaningless
strings.

OK, got it. We have different understandings of short. People seem to be ok typing in alice@xxxxxxxxxxx which is 15 chars. And there are plenty of 15 char names.

Short as in 'really short', sure, those are going to be in demand and that is where I think we divert some willing cash into funding Internet infrastructure for all. Names of 9 characters or more at cost, shorter names at exponentially higher prices according to how short.

Out of respect for Flemming's character and to prevent a hijacking by a malign cult, I propose reserving @q for the Quartermaster.

While a couple of billion people would prefer non-english callsigns,  I don't
think that helps us much since random sequences of Mandarin or Kanji probably
don't help.

The only reason I am not dealing with non-Latin names at this point is they have to be done right.

Yeah, a series of pooh emoji will be a sought after callsign, I just don't
think we want to repeat twitter/facebook/etc. handle land grab.

Or the DNS name squatter phenomenon. I think it has to be understood that anyone registering a name just to hold it for ransom is not going to profit from it. On the other hand, challenges could be dealt with in a far fairer fashion than the ICANN process.

    > callsign @phb because I might want to sell the house. So I am going to have
    > @lawnswood_chester, @dalek_hq_boston, @minons_truro, etc. That way I

You just built some hierarchy into your handles.
(Why are minions in Truro? I dunno)

Each user is likely to create their own hierarchy just to keep things straight. Chester is easy because it's the name the house was given when it was built. I probably don't want to put my actual home address in the name. I like daleks and I like minions, so...

    >> We need this really allocated, because then it fits immediately into
    >> ip6.arpa.
    >> Yeah, it's long hard to remember prefix.  We already have a variety of ways
    >> to put 128-bit AAAA in forward places.  We might need some new RR types so
    >> that we
    >> can do relative naming, or we could just use AAAA records.
    >> So "Michael's IETF-Friend-PHB" would be implemented by having
    >> "IETF-Friend-PHB IN AAAA" contain your AAAA value in my tree.
    >>

    > Oh nice, now I get it...

One would put "fd01:1234::abcd me" into the virtual equivalent of /etc/hosts
Then, when I write "IETF-Friend-PHB" (which is implicitely, "me's
IETF-Friend-PHB"), it would lookup:
   IETF-Friend-PHB.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.4.3.2.1.1.0.d.f.ip6.arpa
   (which I hope is reverse of fd01:1234::/64)

Oh I get it... Very clever.

We really don't need any IETF Action.

I wasn't counting on any... My expectation being that if I build something and it gets used, we will find a venue.

Permissionless innovations...