Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

On 25-Dec-21 09:02, Christian Huitema wrote:
The collision risk itself depends on the population size. If call signs are used as "pet names", they are only expected to be unique in the small scope of "pets". But if thy are expected to be unique worldwide and forever, then they have pretty much the same design constraints as IPv6 addresses. They can probably be a little shorter because there is no expectation of routability, but I would be surprised if this required fewer than 80 bits -- I would probably go for 96 bits.

Why define a length? Using something like HDLC bit stuffing, they could be any length you like. Or use an indefinite length CBOR string [RFC8949 section 3.2.3].

   Brian