Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

Il 20/12/2021 19:28 Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

So which would people prefer for the pseudo-delegation?

alice.mesh or alice.mesh.arpa?

This would be a reservation in .arpa, not a delegation.
While I am interested in potential future alternatives to the DNS, your plan involves selling domain names in your own TLD, even if they are just gateways to paid names in your own alt namespace. If you want to sell domain names in your own TLD, you go to ICANN and apply and pay for it just like everyone else has been doing: I see no reason why the IETF should cooperate so that you can bypass the existing rules, and doing so would enrage basically everyone else in the Internet governance sphere.

Alternatively, you set this up as an alt TLD, and if people see value in it they will install browser plugins or configure their resolvers so that it works for them. I wouldn't see anything bad in this.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx