Re: Proposal, open up .arpa

Just to be clear, I was stating that the amount paid to register a TLD or ARPA domain is going to be $0, I am not going to be paying the $250,000 or whatever ICANN charges for yacht polishing these days.

I do understand that a registry attempting to run at global scale will have costs. As some of you might remember, I have been involved in running such systems.

There is no need for any more of you to send me personal emails pointing this out.

My model is that for the price of a pint of beer you can buy a pack of 50 coupons so you can always have one to give out if you want to have end-to-end secure communications with someone.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 3:55 PM Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 3:18 PM Nick Hilliard <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote on 20/12/2021 18:28:
> Which has me looking at .ARPA instead.

.arpa is more interesting than another tld because ...?

If it is just one proposed personal name space then .mesh is the obvious choice. If we have dozens it becomes harder, if we have hundreds, well it's going to be one collision after another.

A dedicated tld might be a better practical choice, no?  In the scale of
things, the registration cost isn't that high for having your own
unambiguous name space with its own policy cone.

The registration cost will be $0 in either case. I can promise you that.

ICANN was never chartered to collect a tax on innovation or to be a gatekeeper. Nor are they likely to be granting any sort of registration to a scheme that is going to compete with them.