Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-eggert-bcp45bis-06.txt> (IETF Discussion List Charter) to Best Current Practice

Hi S. Moonesamy,

On the SAA issue, I have responded more generally on a separate thread.

But please see inline regarding a couple of your other comments.

My interpretation is that the latitude is meant to the refer to the topics that may be discussed.  But I regard the text in the abstract as just giving an overview and the "normative" text that defines what is/isn't allowed as being in section 2, and the parts of section 1 that apply to all mailing lists.  Please see item (3) of the other email that I just sent proposing some specific text about how the moderation is done.

Would that proposed text in that email be sufficient to address you concerns?  Or do you think that further changes are warranted, and if you so, please can you propose concrete changes?

> Section of the draft states that a sergeant-at-arms is appointed by a
> deliberative body.  There is a sentence after that which states that
> the officer is appointed by the IETF Chair.  That is not aligned with
> the definition.
>
> A sergeant-at-arms usually have a military or law enforcement
> background.  The officer works under the direction of the Speaker of
> the House.  Does the officer work under the authority of the IETF
> Chair?  If that is the case, would the IETF Chair be accountable for
> a decision of the officer?
>
> if I am not mistaken, the IETF mailing list is no longer viewed as
> representative of the "community".  Stating that the "SAA" as "a
> self-moderation function on the community, by the community" is, in
> my opinion, misleading.

I'm always hopefully that we can get ietf@ back into a shape where more of the community regard it as holding useful discussion and decide to rejoin.  But either way, one could argue that the meaning of community in this sense refers to those individuals who choose to be subscribed to the ietf@ mailing list.

Regards,
Rob