Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-zern-webp-05

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 5:40 AM Tim Chown via Datatracker
<noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Reviewer: Tim Chown
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> Hi,
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
> effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
> comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
> the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
> in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
> treat these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> This draft serves as the IETF standards document through which the WebP image
> format is registered with IANA.
>
> The document is ready for publication with Nits to be addressed.  Note I am not
> overly familiar with such registration procedure, but have read through RFC6838
> since being assigned this draft for review, given 6838 defines the registration
> requirements.
>
> General comments
>
> I think the abstract should say this document provides the WebP media type
> registration with IANA, as required by RFC 6838, not just what WebP is.
>
> The draft includes pointers to the specifications for GIF, JPG and PNG but it
> might be useful to confirm which documents (or additional documents) serve the
> registration function for those formats.

Meaning pointers to registration RFCs like this one if they exist?

> In RFC6838 section 4.6, the security requirements are detailed (see
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.6).   I don’t think
> these have all been addressed in this document.  Section 4.6 for example says
> that the draft MUST state whether “active content” is employed or not, and if
> it is, detail steps taken, but I don’t see that here.  Similarly it SHOULD
> discuss compression.  I’d suggest a quick review of 4.6 for compliance.
>
> I don’t see the IANA registry cited in this document - it is mentioned in
> Section 5 but an explicit pointer would use useful.  I believe it’s the one at
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
>
> I also looked at compliance of this draft in Section 2.1 with Section 6.2 of
> RFC 6838.  I think this draft should explicitly include the Full Name and
> suffix used, and while the subtype name listed is also the suffix, perhaps make
> that explicit.

Does this apply? This isn't registering a suffix, but the media type itself.

> Finally, I see personal email contacts included, though RFC 6838 says “The
> "owner" of a media type registered in the standards tree is assumed to be the
> standards-related organization itself.”, so should there be a more generic
> google contact or owner listed?

I can make this opensource@xxxxxxxxxx or look for another generic
contact if that helps.