Re: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-alto-unified-props-new-18

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021, Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) wrote:

Thanks a lot for your review. A new version is under edition to address your comments.
Please see inline how we plan to address them. Can you let us know whether the proposed updates meet your expectations?

That looks good, thanks!

appropriate to refer to RFC 7285 for the Security Considerations, as is done in
this document.
[ [SR] ]
[ [SR] ] Do you mean we should keep the security section of this document as it is or should we shorten it?

I meant it is good as is.

While extensions to a protocol don't necessitate an Updates: clause, in this
case I think it should because the document addresses shortcomings in the
original protocol. That is, new implementations are expected to really require
implementing this new document as part of the "core specification". Thus
implementers reading 7285 should really be warned to also read (and
implement) this document.

[ [SR] ] we do not oppose entities against endpoints therefore this extension does not intend to replace endpoints by entities. Both are useful, as some use cases can live with the base protocol. A discussion thread has just started on this point and we will like to have your conclusions on the exposed points of view

An RFC update does not mean "do not implement what was in the older
one". Update really means that one should read (and ideally implement) both
documents to get the updated picture of what the IETF believes should be
implemented. If this is just an optional extension, then Update: is not
needed. But if it modifies the previous document to clarify or extend in
a way that is core to the protocol, it should probably Update: the
previous RFC so implementers know there is more to take into account
than just that core older document.

The IANA considerations are quite verbose. Usually, this section only contains

[ [SR] ] We have identified some paragraphs and text that are more considerations than specifications:

Thanks. I think it will look better. Generally, think of this Section as
something only the IANA operator will read to actually perform the
registry updates and that any other reader will skip the section
entirely.

Paul