Re: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-zern-webp-04

Hi Tero,

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 2:00 AM Tero Kivinen via Datatracker
<noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Reviewer: Tero Kivinen
> Review result: Has Issues
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
> effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
> comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area directors.
> Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other
> last call comments.
>
> This document request webp image format media registration and its security
> considerations section do mention some of the security issues (buffer overruns
> and uninitialized data usage). Unfortunately graphics libraries have really bad
> track record for security, simple search lists about 200-300 CVEs for all
> widely used graphics formats (jpeg, png, gif), and even some for webp already
> (for which there is reference in security considerations section).
>
> Those issues include integer overflows, resource exhaustion of memory and other
> resources (file descriptors etc), extended resource usage (very long running
> time), out-of-bounds writes for both to heap and stack, null pointer
> references, very large image sizes, zero image sizes and zero width and/or
> height images, information leaks from the decoder (memory layout, obtaining
> potentially sensitive information), arbitrary memory writes, memory corruptions
> etc.
>
> As graphics libraries are used in so many places and used in ways where they
> can cause severe security issues both on clients (web browsers, email clients)
> and servers (for example when automatically converting uploaded images from one
> format to another format on servers) the security issues in them are
> widespread, i.e., not only limited to the image processing applications
> themselves.
>
> Adding the attack surface even more by adding yet another graphics format with
> new libraries will make situation even worse. Also the traditionally graphics
> libraries have not been written as being security sensitive, but in the modern
> systems they are as integral to the security than the crypto libraries etc.
>
> Adding bit more warnings about those issues to the security considerations
> section would be useful.

Thanks for the review. As you mention it can be tough to have an
exhaustive list, but I can incorporate your suggestions into another
draft after the last period is complete. I posted version 4 during
this process, but learned that the doc should remain mostly stable for
the period so I'll keep any edits local for now.